Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Falling In Love......



Lots of catching up to do.  Between all the doctor appointments and other kid activities, Lauren and I have been falling in love.  Now some adoptive parents will tell you they are totally in love with their new child the minute they are matched on paper.  I will say the attachment does start there as you carry around a little blurry photo of your new child for months before your actual first meeting and adoption, but love takes time.  I remember when we adopted Lily that for a few weeks I felt like I was just taking care of someone else’s child and not my own.  Now don’t get me wrong, I was thrilled to finally meet Lauren but these past few weeks our relationship has blossomed into a true love affair.  I now have a better understanding of her personality and it sparkles!  When she smiles, you can’t help but smile too.  Meeting Lauren and officially becoming her parents just three hours later, is definitely a leap of faith but discovering the many layers of her personality are a complete joy.
We had our first doctor’s appointment January 16th with Lauren’s local pediatrician, Dr. Andrews.  She had fluid in both ears so Dr. Andrews put her on amoxicillin for 10 days.  She started the series of shots that will eventually get Lauren caught up on vaccinations.  Generally doctors in the states don’t rely on shot records from China or test the titer, they just start over.  Lauren got three shots that day and did fine, very little crying once the princess stickers floated in front of her face.  Then it was on to the lab for the blood work.  This process did not go as well.  It took two of us holding her down and still they were not able to get enough blood for all the testing as Lauren was able to bend her arm and the needle came out with both sticks.  Lauren was screaming and her little cheeks were flaming red and she felt like she was burning up.  So happy to leave but sad to know we would have to return for another blood draw to complete the testing.  They test for hepatitis, TB, aids and I don’t know what all else, but a bunch of stuff.
We returned two days later and Lauren started screaming from the time we walked in the lab door to when we left but the good news is that the person holding her this time was able to keep her arm still and the job was done quickly.  No more blood draws for awhile please!
I found out that St. John’s Mercy is affiliated with Mercy Children’s hospital in St. Louis so would be in our insurance network.  Dr. Andrews said that the head of the cleft lip/palate team, Doctor Marsh         was considered the guru for pediatric plastic surgery.  I called the clinic and after describing Lauren’s current situation the team coordinator said, “hold on, I need to get you in soon, I’ll see if I can find a room for next Friday.”  I was impressed with her attitude.  Now I had a dilemma, I already had an appointment to meet the team at Mercy Children’s hospital in Kansas City scheduled for February 19th but here was a team that was willing to fit me in quickly.  After talking to John we decided to go for the appointment in St. Louis.  Lauren and I would travel to St. Louis on Thursday the 24th and meet with the team at 8am on 1/25.
The weather looked a little dicey on the 24th, some ice and freezing rain was predicted but the temperatures on the 25th looked good, up to 46 degrees, so I was not too worried about traveling.  Lauren and I had a great time swimming in the hotel pool, she loves water, and learned quickly to put her arms up, head down and blow bubbles.
We must have met with around 8 different disciplines on the 25th, I kind of lost track.  I was impressed with Dr. Marsh.  After meeting with everyone and having Lauren’s hearing tested the bottom line is that her ear drums are not moving at all and the hearing loss is mild to moderate in one ear and moderate to severe in the other.  Her ears are filled with fluid.  She needs to get this corrected so that she can start learning English.  Dr. Marsh said that because Lauren is embarking on learning a completely new language, the hands of time are turned back in her speech development.  This is because she will be making new sounds that she has never attempted in the past, so she does not have any bad habits.  He said that if she were to continue in Mandarin, that her speech would always be impaired but by switching languages she has a very good chance of having normal speech.  He said he has seen this happen many times over the years with foreign adoptees.  Great news!  The hearing test indicated the hearing loss is due to the fluid and not permanent damage.  The speech therapist was amazing and wants to see Lauren in 3-6 months to work with her for an hour.  She thinks Lauren will be a quick study and said she wished we lived closer because she would love to be her teacher.  Dr. Marsh said he probably does not need to see her for another 9-12 months, depending on her speech development.  He plans on doing her rhinoplasty surgery in about a year which surprised me as I thought they typically waited until the patient stopped growing.
As soon as we arrived home I started calling to make appointments, one for the local ENT, Dr. Allphin, one to pediatric dentist, Carrie Arquitt and one to the Springfield Public Schools.  I was able to get into Dr. Allphin on 1/30 and after seeing the amount of fluid in her ears he said she really needed tubes put in to drain the fluid so she could begin to work on a new language.  I was in total agreement.  They were able to schedule her outpatient surgery for Feb 1, the sooner the better in my way of thinking.
I have also been working on the preschool arrangements.  We knew we wanted Lauren to attend the MSU Child Development Center, but they did not have an opening at this time.  I had been on the waiting list since November.  In the meantime I was able to tour the child development center at OTC and they have a very similar program to MSU but they do not provide services in the summer.  My thought was to start her at OTC and then transition to MSU in the summer when they assured me there would be an opening.  Yesterday I got a call from the assistant director at MSU and she said a family has just turned in their 2 week notice due to a family crisis.  I hate to back out on OTC as nice as they have been to us but it will be so nice for Lauren to have the consistency of only one preschool.  Things just seem to work out in the end; patience is all that is needed.
Lauren attended Sunday school last week and stayed the entire time and no crying.  It helps if Daddy is the drop off person as Lauren does not have the same attachment with me as with me.  I just stayed around the corner where she could not see me.  The teachers were wonderful with her and she brought home her art work to display.  She was very proud of the name tag they made for her.
More photos soon.......

No comments:

Post a Comment