Saturday, January 5, 2013

Marching in Place


Not sure what day it is…..
John and Lily were off and running yesterday morning at 6am.  A van drove them to Hong Kong to catch a plane to Chicago.  We had to wait over 24 hours to hear that they had made it home safe.  I can’t tell you how many times during the day I would calculate the time 14 hours behind to decide how far along they were in the journey.  Thank goodness for skype!  How good it was to see John’s face, even as tired as it looked, viewing me through my iPhone.  It was only 3am their time, but John was wide awake due to the time change.  A bit later he had Lily skype me and it was good to see her sweet face and hear that she already misses me.  In a few hours John will be driving her up to KC to join her dance troupe at the JUMP convention.  She is not competing but will pack in two full days of lessons.  John will be able to spend the night in KC and come back Sunday morning and Lily will ride the bus with the troupe.
We have kept ourselves entertained while spending the last few days in Guangzhou.  We have walked around the island many times and played at the park once or twice each day.  It was Saturday today but apparently the kids go to school on Saturdays because we saw them all outside in their sweat suit uniforms doing group exercises and later playing soccer at recess.  I like the idea of the group exercises-maybe something our schools need to try, a break in the day to get out and get moving.  We also watched the armed soldiers during their marching drills.
The park is a popular hangout for the older crowd.  It is fun to watch them dance in large groups and then there are the singers complete with karaoke sound systems.  There are adult sized exercise equipment and the elderly are constantly using them to stretch and flex-something we don’t see in the states either.  I think every city I have ever traveled to in China have this same exercise equipment.  The stuff is made out of heavy metal and runs on muscle power only.  The kids like to get on but it is specifically designed for adults.
Jing Yi seems to take all of our adventures in stride.  She is currently in an ice cream coma, I think she has been working on this cone for a good 20 minutes and she still has more to go but there is no stopping her.  She is a very lovable little girl and I am guessing this is the first time she has had so much one on one attention from one adult, but it seems to be growing on her.  She was not too happy with being carried at first, but now she will reach those arms high in the sky and give me her best puppy dog eyes, wanting to be held and carried.  She loves to color and at first would not let me color with her; during this past week she has really lightened up on the attitude of “I am doing this by myself,” and is letting me creep into her space.  We did a great job of coloring a page of the hello kitty color book today.  She also likes to draw and we worked together drawing the picture of the monkey on her shirt.  She pays attention to detail and added the eye brows on the monkey that I had overlooked.
We had a bit of a power struggle over getting ready for bed last night.  We had made it past the grieving time without any tears and I knew that if I pushed the point of getting pjs on, there would be some tears, but it was time to get ready for bed.  There were a few tears shed, but once the pjs were on, the tears stopped and she was fine.  Tonight we have made it through the 6pm hour without tears once again-progress.  She has struggled to make some words in English.  Luke has a habit to drawing out his no so that it sounds like noah and last night she clearly said, “noah.”  Instead of speaking English to Jing Yi, Luke likes to babbled back to her in her version of Chinese, they carry on some lively discussions.  I am sure Jing Yi will have some challenges ahead of her from what I have seen of her mouth.  I would not be surprised at all to hear that surgery will be needed in the near future.
Sorry, no photos, I am too lazy to download them.  John did all that for me. Maybe tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment